Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Friday Food | Christmas Brunch













First off I want to apologize for the lack in camera quality. Our good camera died on us yesterday which is in blogger terms: a horrifying nightmare. Anywhoo, it didn't stop me from making my Friday Food post! And thank you old camera for making me stress over money for a new camera...


Because 1 of our dear readers asked me if I could come up with any Christmas Brunch recipes I was like 'uuuhm heck yeah!'. My brains started working on full speed and if cooking would be my daily occupation I could make about 20 Christmas brunch recipes for you but alas... When you're having any kind of brunch it's good to have a mix of sweet and salty dishes but as I'm well aware of the fact that most people are sweettooths I've chosen for a Banana Walnut French Toast. Everybody has made French Toast at least once I guess? So I thought this easy recipe should be worth sharing with you. I've made a fresh Pomegranate, Lime and Orange juice as well though I'm not going to explain it because it's easy as hell, you know: squize the juices out of the fruits and done.

Ingredients (6 people)

1 1/2 cup of brown Stevia sugar 
1 1/2 cup of milk 
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
pinch of salt 
pinch of nutmeg 
6 bananas
6 eggs
6 slices of bread (but don't use fresh bread for French Toast) and cut each slice in half
1 cup walnuts
1 cup muesli 
1/2 cup mixed nuts

How to make it 

Take a bowl and add 6 eggs, milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt to it. Whisk it up very well (about 2 minutes) and leave it aside. 

Put the walnuts, other nuts and muesli in an ovendish and put it in the oven for about 3 minutes tops on 250°. Make sure you don't leave it longer than 3 minutes otherwise you're serving burnt nuts. I had to start over because I was too busy doing other things.. When that's done let them cool off for a couple of minutes. 

Take another bowl and add the chopped bananas, the brown Stevia sugar and the mix of roasted muesli/nuts and mix it gently. 

Now start making the French Toast. Eaaaasy! Soak the slices of bread in the egg-mix and let it simmer in a hot skillet for a minute or 2 on each side. Pile them up and let them cool down as you're making the rest of the batch. 

It's time for the sticky part: put your banana mix onto the slices of bread and top it with another slice and press gently. Don't use the entire banana mix! Next I've cut the sandwiches in triangle sizes. This makes it easy to pile it up in your oven dish. If you've done that add the leftover egg mix over the banana walnut sandwiches. Put it in the oven for about 10 minutes on a 250° heat but make sure to check your ovendish once and a while. It depends of your oven how fast it's ready.

Heat the leftover bananamix in a skillet with just a tablespoon of butter (not too much) and caramelize it for a couple of minutes. When your Banana Walnut French Toast dish is ready add the leftover bananamix over the dish for the extra ümpfh!

Bon appetit!
Sabrina, x.

No comments:

Post a Comment